You can get an autopsy report for someone if you are a legal family member or an officer of the court.

If you want the report sent to someone other than yourself, for example an attorney or an insurance company, you must have your signature on the request notarized.

Learn about autopsy reports.

Request an autopsy report:

By Mail

Office of Chief Medical Examiner Records Department
421 East 26 Street New York
NY 10016


  • The name of the deceased 
  • Medical Examiner case number, which is available from the Identification Unit staff or the death certificate
  • Date and borough of death 
  • Your name and relationship to the deceased


Email the Chief Medical Examiner.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No