Need something else?

  • Illegal Parking for complaints about businesses illegally parking cars on the street or sidewalk

You can submit a written complaint about unresolved problems with your car repair or inspection, including overcharges, unnecessary or unauthorized work, or an unlicensed shop.

You have to file your report using the Department of Motor Vehicles form VS-35. You can download the form or request it by phone.


Download DMV form VS-35.

Learn about your rights in auto repair.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Division: Vehicle Safety Licensing Complaints
  • Phone Number: (518) 474-8943
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:15 AM - 4:15 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Spanish. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No