Need something else?

You can report noise from lawn care equipment, including:

  • Leaf blowers
  • Lawn mowers
  • Hedge trimmers
  • Weedwackers
  • Auto tillers
  • Wood chippers or mulch grinders

You can use lawn care equipment:

  • On weekdays between 8 AM and 7 PM, or sunset (whichever is later)
  • On weekends and New York State and Federal Holidays between 9 AM and 6 PM or sunset (whichever is later)

You are never allowed to use equipment that makes unreasonable noise.

If a park is 300 feet or more from any residential buildings, park staff are allowed to use equipment between 7 AM and 8 AM.

What You Need

You must provide your contact information so the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) can contact you, if necessary. DEP must have this information to take action on the Service Request.

If you have submitted a noise service request to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), you can request a Noise Inspection Report (NIR) be sent to you.

DEP responds to service requests for noise from:

  • Air Conditioner or Ventilation Equipment
  • Boats
  • Chronic Alarms
  • Construction
  • Dog or Other Animals
  • Factories
  • Ice Cream Trucks
  • Lawn Equipment
  • Private Garbage Trucks
  • Wastewater Treatment Plants

To have the NIR sent to you, you must include:

  • The service request number
  • An email or mailing address

The NIR will be sent to you 14 days after the inspection has been completed. Requests submitted with insufficient information cannot be fulfilled.


Email DEP to request a Noise Inspection Report.

Use "Request for Information" as Message Type and "Noise Control" as Message Topic.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No