Need something else?

Pavement markings, also known as street line markings, are lines and other markings that define vehicle lanes. 

They also define areas of a roadway used for:

  • Buses
  • Bicycling
  • Walking
  • Street furniture, such as:
    • Citibike stations
    • Bicycle racks
    • Benches
    • Blocks
    • Planters
    • Tables

Pavement markings include:

  • Lines used in hatched areas of the roadway that identify where vehicle travel is not allowed
    • Symbols or words used to define:
    • Bus lanes (e.g., BUS LANE)
    • Bicycling lanes (e.g., bicycle and V-shaped symbols)
    • Exclusive turn lanes (e.g., arrows with ONLY)
    • Warning messages (e.g., SLOW or BUMP)
    • Regulatory messages (e.g., STOP, YIELD, or 20 MPH)
  • Colored treatments used for identifying:
    • Bus lanes (red)
    • Bicycle lanes (green)
    • Walking areas (tri-color brown)
    • Shared streets that allow both pedestrian and vehicle traffic (tri-color pink)

You can make a complaint to the Department of Transportation (DOT) about missing or faded pavement markings on a street or highway.

Report a pavement marking on a street that is:

Report a pavement marking on a highway that is:

You can submit a request to DOT for brand new pavement markings or a change to existing pavement markings.

Requests for new pavement markings will result in a traffic regulation study at the location to determine if the new markings are appropriate.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No