Call 911
Call 911 to report animal abuse in progress.

Need something else?

  • Animal Abuse to report chronic or ongoing animal abuse, neglect, or mistreatment for non-emergency response
  • Abandoned Pet to report a pet that has been purposely abandoned by its owners
  • Noise from Park to report noise from a barking dog in a NYC park

You can report noise from a barking dog or other domestic animal. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) can only respond to complaints of animal noise in an attempt to enforce the NYC Noise Code.

DEP may take enforcement action if the noise can easily be heard from a residential address:

  • For 10 minutes straight between the times 7:00 AM and 10:00 PM or
  • For 5 minutes straight between the times 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM

What You Need

For DEP to respond to your noise complaint, you must provide the address where the animal is barking and your mailing address. Your information will not be shared with the animal's owner.

What Happens Next

If you are complaining about barking noise, DEP will send a letter about the noise to the dog's owner within 7 days of getting your complaint. The letter will include information explaining how to curb the dog's noise. If a letter is sent to the dog's owner, DEP will also send you a letter with instructions about how to follow up if the animal continues to be noisy.

If DEP has already sent a letter to the dog's owner, or if your complaint is regarding noise from a domestic animal other than a dog, they may do a noise inspection.

If a violation of the NYC Noise Code is witnessed by DEP during their inspection, a summons may be issued.

To report animal noise in a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) public housing building, go to the NYCHA Borough Management Office page.

DEP does not investigate noise from a wild animal. You can contact the New York State Department of Fish and Wildlife for assistance.

  • Agency: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
  • Division: Fish and Wildlife Division
  • Phone Number: (518) 402-8924
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM

If you have submitted a noise service request to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), you can request a Noise Inspection Report (NIR) be sent to you.

DEP responds to service requests for noise from:

  • Air Conditioner or Ventilation Equipment
  • Boats
  • Chronic Alarms
  • Construction
  • Dog or Other Animals
  • Factories
  • Ice Cream Trucks
  • Lawn Equipment
  • Private Garbage Trucks
  • Wastewater Treatment Plants

To have the NIR sent to you, you must include:

  • The service request number
  • An email or mailing address

The NIR will be sent to you 14 days after the inspection has been completed. Requests submitted with insufficient information cannot be fulfilled.


Email DEP to request a Noise Inspection Report.

Use "Request for Information" as Message Type and "Noise Control" as Message Topic.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No