Call 911
Call 911 for a downed power line causing a life-threatening situation or other immediate danger or to report electrical work in progress without a permit.

Need something else?

You can report an electrical problem in an apartment, defective or exposed electrical wiring in a building, or faulty outdoor electrical equipment. 

You can make a complaint about an electrical problem inside an apartment, including:

  • Lighting that dims or flickers
  • Lighting fixtures that are missing, hanging, loose, sparking, wet, flooded, or smoking
  • No lighting
  • Outlets or switches that are sealed or defective
  • Power outage
  • Wiring that is exposed, frayed, or illegally installed, or fuses that blow out

Before filing a complaint, you should try to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent. If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company or board before filing a complaint with HPD, as the specific agreements between the coop or condo owner and the board may dictate which conditions are required to be addressed by the board or the unit owner.

What You Need

When reporting an electrical problem in an apartment, you must provide your contact information.

What Happens Next

The Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) investigates maintenance complaints and tickets owners who break the law.

HPD will attempt to contact your building's managing agent to advise them that a complaint has been filed and that a violation may be issued if the condition is not corrected immediately. HPD will also attempt to call you back to see if the condition was corrected. If you indicate that the condition was corrected, HPD will close the complaint.

Learn more about HPD complaints and inspections.

Learn more about housing quality and safety issues on the HPD website.

Use HPD Online to check the status of a Service Request and to find complaint and violation history.


If it was not corrected or HPD cannot reach you, a uniformed Code Enforcement inspector will be sent to inspect the reported condition. If English is not your primary language, let the Inspector know and they can call a translator to help.

The owner/agent is not notified of the inspection date. Inspectors will also check for the following:

  • Non-working smoke detectors
  • Non-working carbon monoxide detectors
  • Lead-based paint (if there is a child under six)
  • Window guards (if there is a child under 11),
  • Door locks that require a key to exit
  • Self-closing dwelling unit entrance doors
  • Mold
  • Mice, cockroaches, and rats
  • Bars or gates on fire escape windows

Housing Court

If you made a complaint and your property owner didn't fix the problem, you can take legal action in Housing Court. Document all contact with your landlord and HPD about the conditions in your apartment so you can use it in court.

To learn more about Housing Court, go to the Housing Court for Tenants and Landlords page.

Additional Assistance

Rent Regulated Apartments

There is additional support available for tenants in rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartments. To learn more, go to the Rent Regulated Apartments page.

Housing Rules

For more information about residential property maintenance requirements and tenant rights and responsibilities, use the Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants page.

Complaint Copies

Copies of maintenance complaints are available for both Tenants and Landlords. For additional questions about a complaint or to get copies of complaints, go to the HPD Building Information and Code Enforcement Borough Service Centers page.

You can report defective electrical wiring with old or split wires or exposed wiring.

    You can report electrical work done in the past without a permit.

    Your report should include:

    • If building has 3 or more units
    • If people are living in the building during electrical work
    • Who did the work
    • Dates and times work was done
    • If a permit is posted

    You can report faulty power equipment, including low hanging, dangling, downed, or corroded power lines and "hot spots." You can also make a complaint about overhead or underground power lines.

    NYC except the Rockaways

    Report problems with an outdoor electrical system in any part of New York City, except the Rockaways, to Con Edison:


    Report faulty power equipment or lines to Con Edison.

    By Phone

    • Agency: Con Edison
    • Division: Electric Hotline
    • Phone Number: (800) 752-6633
    • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
    • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.

    The Rockaways

    Report problems with an outdoor electrical system in the Rockaways to PSEG Long Island:


    Report faulty power equipment or lines to PSEG Long Island.

    By Phone

    • Agency: Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG)
    • Division: Emergency Hotline
    • Phone Number: (800) 490-0075
    • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

    Utility poles and the wires between them are used to provide electrical, telephone, or cable services. They are primarily owned and maintained by utility companies, such as Verizon, Charter Spectrum, and Con Edison. The poles are usually made of wood.

    Streetlights have metal poles, and are usually powered by energy supplied through wiring located in the base at the bottom of the pole. They are rarely powered by wires strung between poles. The City's Department of Transportation maintains streetlights. To report a streetlight problem, use the Streetlight Complaint page.

      Was this information helpful?   Yes    No