Need something else?

  • Family Justice Centers for eviction prevention services for domestic violence victims
  • Legal Assistance for information on free legal services through the Right to Counsel program and the City's Tenant Helpline

You can get help if you've received an eviction notice or if you are in an immediate housing crisis.

A Notice of Eviction is a written notice from the Housing Court authorizing the Marshal or Sheriff to perform an eviction.

A "Non-Payment" Notice of Eviction is a case brought by a landlord to Housing Court to collect unpaid rent from the tenant.

A "Holdover" Notice of Eviction is a case brought by a landlord to evict a tenant for reasons other than non-payment of rent.

Get general information about eviction prevention resources.

Homebase is a program for people who are at risk of becoming homeless. If you think that you may become homeless, a Homebase counselor might find other options for you, instead of a homeless shelter.

Homebase office locations offer services over the phone, through a video system, and/or in-person. You are strongly encouraged to call the Homebase office before visiting. 

Call a Homebase office in your borough for more information or to schedule an appointment to complete an intake assessment. They are open Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM.

Learn more about Homebase.


You can make a complaint about a Homebase office or staff member:


Email the Department of Homeless Services

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to report the problem or request a permit.

If you have received formal Housing Court documents for Non-Payment of Rent, you may receive help to pay rent one time to prevent eviction. Assistance is also available for physically able seniors age 60 and older.

  • Agency: Human Resources Administration
  • Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
  • You can reach staff during business hours (except for City Holidays). You can get help in most languages. Automated Assistance is available in English and Spanish, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you receive Cash Assistance (also called Public Assistance), you may be eligible for help paying your back rent. To be eligible for Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Services (FHEPS), you must:

  • Be receiving Cash Assistance AND
  • Have a child younger than 18 at home, or a child younger than 19 in high school and at home, AND
  • Have a court case because you are being sued for past-due rent.

You should go to your HRA Benefits Access Center (formerly known as Job Center) and see the Homelessness Diversion Unit to discuss your situation.

To learn more about Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Services (FHEPS), go to the Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS) page.

Adults 18 and older who meet the eligibility criteria for services and are at risk of eviction because of mental and/or physical disabilities can get eviction assistance if they have one of the following:

  • Notice of Eviction for non-payment of rent
  • "Holdover" Notice of Eviction
  • Notice from their landlord requesting either unpaid rent or corrections to problems related to the residence

This assistance is for adults 18 and older who, because of mental and/or physical disabilities, are unable to manage their own resources, carry out the activities of daily living, or protect themselves from neglect or hazardous situations without assistance from others, and have no one available who is willing and able to responsibly assist.

Learn about eviction prevention for adults with mental and/or physical disabilities.

  • Agency: Human Resources Administration
  • Division: Adult Protective Services
  • Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours, except on City Holidays. Most languages are available through a staff person.

If you have been served a holdover eviction notice, you may qualify for free legal representation in Housing Court or free legal counsel to help you avoid eviction.

Legal services include:

  • Representing you in Housing Court
  • Negotiating with your landlord
  • Finding out whether your rent amount is correct or whether your housing conditions require repair by the landlord
  • Preparing and filing required agency and court papers

By Email

You can send a message to the HRA Office of Civil Justice at for assistance.

In Person

Universal Access to Counsel (Right to Counsel) legal service providers are available in every borough to connect with tenants at their first housing court appearance.

In Housing Court, you can see a legal professional by going to the Human Resources Administration (HRA) Office of Civil Justice in the building, 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday to Friday, except holidays. The HRA Office of Civil Justice is located at these Housing Courts:


Bronx County
1118 Grand Concourse, Room 1A

Brooklyn and Staten Island

Kings County
141 Livingston Street, Room 201


New York County
111 Centre Street, Room 854


Queens County
89-17 Sutphin Boulevard, Room 121

Seniors 60 and older can get a referral for legal assistance if:

  • You are physically able and received a Holdover Notice of Eviction
  • You received a written notice from your landlord demanding unpaid rent
  • You received a written notice from your landlord about corrections to problems related to the apartment

If you are facing eviction, you may be eligible for legal advice or representation through the City's Universal Access to Counsel (Right to Counsel) program.

Legal services are now available to residential tenants regardless of zip code. Legal service providers and/or OCJ staff are available at all housing courts to connect tenants to the appropriate level of legal service.

Get more information about the Right to Counsel program.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No