Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert
All pending evictions orders are suspended until further notice, as ordered by Chief Administrative Judge Marks, and no tenant may be evicted at this time and until there is a change to the order of the court. Evictions for non-payment are suspended through August 20, 2020 for tenants financially impacted by COVID-19.
Your landlord can still collect rent as scheduled, and if you can pay your rent, you should continue to do so. If you need help paying rent, go to the Public Assistance or Welfare page.
To learn about the latest updates to this information, you can contact the City’s Tenant Helpline. The Mayor's Office to Protect Tenants (MOPT) is available to assist you with questions about your tenancy and connect you with free legal assistance through HRA’s Office of Civil Justice.
For more information, go to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources and Support page.
Office of Civil Justice (OCJ)
The City's Office of Civil Justice (OCJ), a unit of the Human Resources Administration (HRA), provides a range of free legal services to New Yorkers in need. If you are facing eviction, if you need help with an immigration matter, if you are a worker facing wage theft or other workplace violations, or if you are facing other legal challenges, you may have access to free legal assistance through OCJ.
OCJ legal services are free and you do not have to be an existing HRA client to apply.
Legal services are available regardless of immigration status.
Learn more about OCJ and free legal services.
New York City Bar Association
You can get legal assistance and lawyer referrals. Cases handled include:
- Accidents and medical malpractice
- Criminal defense
- Employment discrimination and wage disputes
- Marriage and family-related cases
- Property, landlord, and tenant disputes
- Wills, trusts, estates, and insurance issues
- Workers compensation and work-related injuries
Get free legal advice from LawHelp.
Request a lawyer from the New York City Bar.
- Agency: New York City Bar Association
- Division: Lawyer Referral Service
- Phone Number: (212) 626-7373
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
- Assistance is also available in Spanish.