Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

All City Clerk offices in New York City are closed until further notice.

Need something else?

You can request a copy of a New York City marriage record from 1950 to present.

You can also request to change a marriage record. This can only be done for records of marriages within New York City.

Required Identification

You must bring or mail valid identification when you request a Marriage Record. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted, no exceptions.

Acceptable forms of identification are the following:

  • Driver's license (from the United States or one of its territories)
  • Non-driver identification card (from the United States or one of its territories)
  • Learner's permit from New York State only
  • IDNYC card
  • United States Military Identification Card
  • A valid passport from any country
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (issued within the past 10 years)
  • United States Alien Registration Card with expiration date
  • Employment authorization card issued by the United States immigration authorities

Marriage Record Entitlement

You can request marriage records that are less than 50 years old as long as you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are one of the spouses or someone with a notarized written permission from the people who got married
  • You are an attorney and require the record as evidence in a legal proceeding
  • Both spouses are deceased and you can present their original death certificates
  • You have a judicial or other proper purpose

Marriage records issued after 1949 that are older than 50 years from today's date are considered a historic record and is available to the general public.

    You can request a copy of a New York City marriage record online, by mail, or in person.  If you submit your request online, you must still complete the application by mail or in person.

    The fee for a domestic marriage record (short certificate) is $15 and $10 for each additional copy. The fee for a marriage record for foreign use is $35 for the first copy and $30 for each additional copy. This fee includes the search, certification, and hand signature with a raised seal.


    After submission, you will receive a confirmation number.  To complete the application, bring or mail all required documentation along with payment to the City Clerk's Office. All requests submitted online expire after 21 days.

    Request a copy of a marriage record from 1950 to the present.

    In Person

    To request a record from 1950 to 1995, you must go to the Manhattan City Clerk's Office, Record Room Division, located at 141 Worth Street (between Centre Street and Hamill Place).

    To request a record from 1996 to present, you can go to any City Clerk borough office.

    You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or money order made payable to the City Clerk. You will receive your marriage record on the same day if all documentation is presented.

    By Mail

    Submit payment and all required documentation along with valid identification to:

    City Clerk of New York
    141 Worth Street
    New York, NY 10013
    Attn: Record Room

    You can pay by certified check, postal or money order only, payable to the City Clerk. You will receive your marriage record in 4 to 6 weeks.

    Call 311 for assistance.

    City Clerk Borough Offices

    Bronx Office

    Supreme Court Building
    851 Grand Concourse (between East 158th and East 159th Street)
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

    Manhattan Office 

    Municipal Building
    141 Worth Street (between Centre Street and Hamill Place)
    New York, NY 10013
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 3:45 PM

    Brooklyn Office

    Municipal Building
    210 Joralemon Street, 2nd Floor, Room 205 (between Court and Fulton Street)
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

    Queens Office

    Borough Hall Building 
    120-55 Queens Boulevard (between 80 Road and 82 Avenue)
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

    Staten Island Office

    Borough Hall Building
    10 Richmond Terrace, 3rd Floor, Room 311 (between Bay Street and Bend)
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

    "No Record" Letter

    If you want documentation stating that there is no marriage record with your name on file with the City Clerk's Office, you can request a “no record” letter.

    To obtain the "no record" letter, you would have to visit the Manhattan's City Clerk Office and file a search application. There is a $5 fee, that is payable by credit card or with a money order made payable to the City Clerk.

    If you need documentation regarding your unmarried status in order to get married in a foreign country, you would need to instead obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. To learn how to get this Certificate, go to the Marriage in a Foreign Country page.

    Record of Spouse's Request

    You can find out if your current spouse got a marriage certificate with another person while still married to you. You will get a verbal yes or no answer. You will not get any documents.

    The fee is $5 payable and payable only by money order.

    If you have a Marriage Ceremony outside of the City Clerk's office, you will get a Certificate of Marriage Registration in the mail.

    If you do not receive your Certificate of Marriage Registration within a month of your Marriage Ceremony, contact the Office of the City Clerk where you got your Marriage License.

    You can make changes to a marriage record.

    The fee is $10 payable by money order made out to the City Clerk or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express). You also need to provide required documents.

    You can submit your request online or in person.


    When you submit the Marriage Record Amendment Application online, you will get a confirmation number. To complete the application, you must bring or mail your confirmation number along with payment, proper identification, and any additional required documentation to:

    Manhattan Office of the City Clerk
    141 Worth Street
    New York, NY 10013

    If you submit materials by mail, your signatures must be notarized. 

    Online applications expire after 21 days. If you do not complete the application at the Office of the City Clerk before then, you will need to submit a new application.

    Apply to Amend a Marriage Record Online.

    In Person

    You can request a form to amend a marriage record. You must file all amendments to a marriage record at the Manhattan Office of the City Clerk, which is located at the 141 Worth Street address above.

    You and your spouse must complete the form and provide a notarized signature. Amendments take 6 to 8 weeks to be completed.

    Download the Marriage Record Amendment Application.

    You can check the status of your marriage record copy or change request.

    By Phone

    Call 311 for assistance.

    By Mail

    The City Clerk, Clerk of the Council
    Executive Office
    141 Worth Street,
    New York, NY 10013