You can request a birth certificate correction in person. An appointment is required.
Schedule an appointment.
If you are unable to schedule an appointment and have an emergency request related to travel, health care coverage, government services, military, housing, or employment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Bring
- Completed Birth Certificate Correction Application.
- Current, signed photo ID
- Required documents (for some corrections, you must include both originals and copies)
- Credit or debit card, check, or money order for payment (if applicable)
There is a nonrefundable $40 processing fee per order for most types of corrections. The fee is the same even if you are correcting more than one type of information.
If you also want a copy of your amended certificate sent to you, you must submit a payment of $55. It costs $15 for each copy you request.
Cash is not accepted. You can pay by:
- Credit or debit card
- Check or money order payable in U.S. dollars in the exact amount to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
There is no cost for the following types of corrections:
- Acknowledgments of Parentage or Paternity
- Orders of Parentage, Filiation, or Paternity
- Adding a parent who was married before the birth of the child
- Adding a child’s given name, if submitted by a parent to the Health Department within 60 days of the child’s birth
- Adding a child’s given name, if submitted by a parent to the hospital within 12 months of the child’s birth
- Correcting hospital errors and omissions, if submitted by the hospital where the child was born within the first 12 months of birth
Location and Hours
The Corrections Unit is open from Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 3:30 PM and located at:
125 Worth Street, Room 144
New York, NY 10013
Processing and Shipping
It takes 12 weeks to process the application. Delivery can take an additional 2 weeks.
Processing time does not start until Vital Records receives your application. Allow additional time for your application to be delivered.
The Office of Vital Records isn’t liable for items delayed or lost in the mail.