For Your or Your Child's Certificate
If you order a birth certificate online, you will be asked questions to verify your identity. If you pass the verification process, you don’t have to submit proof. If you fail, you will have the option to fax copies of documents to prove your identity.
If you order by mail, you must include:
- One photocopy of a Category 1 document (proof of identity), OR
- Two original Category 2 documents (proof of address)
If you order in person, you can get the record on the same day if:
- You are ordering a short form copy, AND
- You submit a Category 1 document (proof of identity)
The record will be mailed to you instead of given on the same day if:
- You are ordering a long form copy,
- You submit Category 2 documents (proof of address), OR
- You submit a photocopy of a Category 1 document (proof of identity)
Category 1 Documents – Proof of Identity
Category 1 documents must be unexpired and include your photo and your signature.
- Driver's License or non-driver's ID from any U.S. state or territory
- Public benefit card
- U.S. or foreign passport
- U.S. certificate of naturalization
- Military ID card
- Employee ID with photo, verifiable employer, and recent pay stub
- MTA reduced-fare Metro Card
- Student ID and current transcript from an accredited and verifiable institution
- Incarcerated person photo ID with release papers
Category 2 Documents – Proof of Address
If you don’t provide a Category 1 document, you must provide two proofs of your current address.
If you’re providing Category 2 documents, each must be:
- Original, not a copy
- Show your name and current address
- Be dated within the past 60 days
- Be a different type
- Utility or telephone bills (online bills can be downloaded from your provider)
- Letter from a government agency
If you order using Category 2 documents, the birth certificate will be mailed to the address listed on your documents.
For a Deceased Relative’s Certificate
You can request a birth certificate of a deceased relative. Orders can only be made by mail.
You must include the following documents:
- A copy of your valid, unexpired photo ID (see Category 1 examples above)
- Completed Family Tree/Link to Decedent form
- Proof of the person’s death
- If the person died in NYC, provide a copy of the death certificate or the death certificate number
- If the person died outside NYC, provide the original death certificate
Contact Vital Records if you can’t provide Category 1 or Category 2 identification.